Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Red-bellied Black Snake

I'm going to blog some of the wildlife shots I have taken in and around Wollombi Valley. The first being this Red-bellied Black Snake that was on Yango Creek Road near Dry Arm in September 2009.

It moved off the road and then sat like this for a few minutes watching me (my car really) allowing me to get to grips with my new camera.

The Red-bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyricus) lives close to water with frogs being a main part of their diet. It is poisionous but not generally fatal to humans.

It is common in woodlands, forests and swamplands in eastern Australia and reproduces by giving birth to up to 40 (average around 20) live young in individual membranous sacs which emerge shortly after birth and are around 22cm in length.

I don't see them at home up on the ridge-top but I see them often on the roads and around other people's houses on the valley-floor... one in Charlie Kessler's kitchen which he gently nudged out the door with a 30cm ruler!

Refs: Wikipedia, Australian Fauna

3 comments:

  1. Great photo. The only one I've seen here so far was sadly a dead one, just a baby really, on our driveway. Only other snake I've seen was in our swimming pool and I didn't get a photo. We scooped him out and put him over the fence into the bush. The neighbours say we get swamp snakes in the pool but I wasn't sure after looking at ID photos. Waiting for another to visit to get a better look. Lots of funnel webs & trapdoors in the pool along with scorpions - I really love being back in an area with wildlife after years in a Coogee flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shot, Peter. I haven't seen one in that pose for more than a moment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol, Your pool doesn't sound like a fun place to be...

    Thanks Sharyn.

    P

    ReplyDelete